Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Set Table

Our origianl plans were to spend Passover with our friend Amir and his family in the Yemen tradition, but our hosts in Israel made a last minute trip here this week and wanted to do a seder at the house. They were going to bring in some rotisserie chicken and pre-made salads, when the host in me said "I'll cook."

In the states probably the most common Passover main entree is Brisket, something I have gotten down pretty well. Now, I know that they don't use the same cuts of meat here in Israel - the use an international numbering system that, as usual, the US doesn't follow. So, finding the right cut of meat is always a little interesting. I went to the store and tried to eyeball it, thinking that it was probably cut Shelosh. But they didn't have it. I sent Scott out yesterday to do some hunting and basically said try to find it, but whatever you do, just come back with something. He came home with cut Chamesh, which to the best of my ability is a Chuck-eye Roast. Not a great cut of meat, but still very expensive here. So, I did a little search on the web and found a recipe from none other than Cook's Illustrated. Wish me luck.

The Menu:
Matzoh Ball Soup
Chopped Liver (Liver in Israel is very popular. Scott loves chopped liver and even though I insisted I would not make it, I am.)
Cucumber Salad
Beet Salad
Hummus and some other purchased salads
All the usual seder items, except the lamb shank. We have our own at home that Scott has cleaned and saved for use at Pesach, but we didn't bring it with us. Our neighbor said they just use any bone they have, so I figured I'll use the wish bone I saved from the chicken soup I made. Ha Ha.

I don't really have high hopes, but we'll see!

No comments: