Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

Lemon Squares



The Meyer Lemon is truly one of the world's lost secrets. All the lemony tastes from my childhood are centered on the sweet and tangy fruit of the Meyer Lemon tree in my parents' front yard. Lemonade stands, pies and the unforgettable lemon bar. In my 8 years away from home I have never tasted a lemon bar or lemonade as sweet and tangy as those from Meyer lemon. They are in season and I finally satisfied my eight-year longing for Lemon Bars...the kind that reach back to the sides of your mouth and tickle your senses with their tartness.

Crust:
3/4 C. Butter
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. Powdered sugar


Topping:
3 eggs slightly beaten
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 1/2 C. Sugar
Juice from 1 lg Meyer lemon (2 small)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x12 baking dish.
Mix crust ingredients and press into bottom of the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden.
Meanwhile mix egg, lemon juice and sugar. Pour over hot crust and bake an additional 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely
Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, home grown always available amazingly lemony--lemons! Our tree was in the back yard. I so relate!