Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Banana Cream Pie

So here's the big confession. I can make a great pie, but it's never a pretty sight. I think I lack the quality of perfectionism that might make others agonize over a perfectly shaped pie crust. So, we don't have a picture of the pie, but if you want something super yummy, you've got to try the banana cream pie. This is a recipe my mom made while I was growing up and to me it is pure comfort food. Be sure to use ripe bananas (no green), but not over-ripe either. I actually made this one night for dessert for our picnic at Ravinia Festival and over heard a lady next to us comment to her friend "who makes pies anymore?" in disbelief. Ha ha. I do, and you would too if you knew how yummy this one is.

Banana Cream Pie

Baked pie shell 8" (see recipe below)
1/2 C. Sugar
3 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 C. Milk
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 Bananas (I use 4 if they are small)
Whipped cream or cool whip (my family usually uses cool whip, but I know some are opposed)

Slice bananas and cover the bottom of the pie shell.

In a double boiler combine sugar flour cornstarch and salt mix with wooden spoon. Blend in milk and yolks add butter place over rapidly boiling water cook until thick and smooth stirring constantly (about 7 min.) Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir until smooth.

Pour custard over the bananas and chill.

When ready to serve top with whipped cream or cool whip or whipped cream.


Pie Crust
So, this pie crust is the easy man's pie crust. This was given to my mom by my parent's friend's mom. It's super easy and gives great results. Forget all the complicated pie crust voodoo. This one really is fool proof and super flaky, just don't over mix it.

2 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 C. Oil
1/4 C. Cold milk

Mix dry ingredients with a fork. Fold in oil and milk until moistened but not completely mixed.

Roll between wax sheets. Turn into in pie plate and shape.

Poke generously with fork over sides and bottom and creases and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

No comments: