Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Scratching an Itch I didn't know I had

Yesterday we met my sister and parents at the TruckIt Festival at Union Station for lunch. We perused the selection of 40 trucks before deciding on what to eat. Dad: Ragin Cajun. Scott and I (appetizer): Fresh Fries (meh). Mom: India Jones. Nina: Mandolin Grill (I ended up sharing with her). Ilan and Aitan: Tino's Pizza. Scott: Mandolin Grill. Mom and Nina: Crepes Bonaparte. Scott and I: Cool Haus.

It's happened once before. I was at the farmer's market in South Pasadena with Sophia and Liuba, when Sophia stopped to get dinner from "Dave's Gourmet." I took the sample they offered. A beige flat spongy looking thing with a wilted cucumber and a flavor explosion went off in my mouth. Tempeh with Spicy Cucumber. Amazing. I was pregnant with Aitan and this somehow satisfied a craving that I couldn't put my finger on.
So, yesterday when my sister ordered Banh Mi from Mandolin Grill I was curious to taste it because it sounded interesting. What I discovered was another taste that I knew I would not be able to resist. Sweet marinated meat, pickled vegetables on a bun. Mmmmm. I can still taste it.

Must be Umami.

No comments: