Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

State Fair of Texas

The Texas State Fair wrapped up on Sunday. Growing up in Southern California, I only went to the fair once...with my friends Shay and her family. I recently learned that is because my dad doesn't like the fair, but really, it wasn't such a big deal. I probably didn't even know it was going on most years. Since we've moved Dallas, the fair has become an unavoidable fact. Not only because it is a huge part of Dallas culture (schools even close so the kids can have a fair day), but because of our apartment location. Ever seen the movie bottle rocket? Remember the scene when he is on the roof and you can see the ferris wheel in the background? That is fair park in Dallas, and that is the same view from our apartment window.

Now on to the food part of my post, and the main point I am writing...Each year there are new fried delictables invented for brave fair-goers. There is a hum around the city about what fried tidbits should not be missed. Local news reporters spend ridiculous amounts of time talking about it and have special broadcasts from the fair. So, this year, we were inspired: On Saturday we had dinner at the fair (which I think should be held in December, because Hanukah is really the only time I can justify eating so much fried food).

Appetizer:
Fried Guacamole: balls of guacamole covered in cheese, battered in a spicy corn batter and deep fried. Served with Salsa, Ranch or Spicy Ranch.

Dinner:
Gyro (Scott): You know what a Gyro is.
Frito Pie (Dana - I had never heard of this before moving to Texas): A bowl with Fritos in the bottom, Texas style chili (con-carne, no beans), cheese, onions.

Dessert Appetizer:
Fried Latte: Deep fried dough strips, some kind of sweet coffeeish sauce, coffee ice cream, whipped cream.

Dessert:
Good Ole Funnel Cake: Last time I had a funnel cake was at Six Flags over Texas. It was Scott's birthday (our first year in TX) and we thought it would be fun to go to SFOT. Wrong. It was hot and miserable.

No comments: