Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Queso


When we lived in Dallas we learned about Queso. I suppose queso to a Texan is like guacamole to a Californian - if you're having Mexican food, watching a game or really anywhere there is chips and dip, there is queso. There are tons of varieties, but the most basic is rotel (which I had never even heard of till I moved to Dallas, and wasn't quite sure I'd be able to find it in Los Angeles) and velveeta. Yes, I said it. Velveeta.

We gathered at my aunt's house to celebrate my uncle, cousin and Scott's birthdays and I was charged with bringing an appetizer. Scott wanted queso, so I started thinking about it. Do I go for the velveeta or should I make a cheese sauce? Well, for lack of time it turned out to be Velveeta, which is something I think I've only used once or twice in my life, and I'm not proud to admit it. Next time I'll go for the homemade sauce. Anytime something is described as cheese "product" I think you should beware. Half the stuff they sell as food is plastic anyway, so when they are basically telling you it is not real food, it's not a good idea, no matter how creamy and velvety as it may be. So, here is the method:

Brown 1 lb. of ground beef with 1 clove of garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When beef is browned, drain the juice and add the large size of velveeta. Cook on med-low until the cheese is melted.

Stir in one can of rotel (spicy, mild or original - which still has a little kick) and serve warm.

No comments: